Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Tool #9: Incorporating Classroom-Based Devices as Tools for Learning

1. Why do you think it is important to tie the technology to the objective?
The students learn how to seamlessly integrate technology into their lives therefore bringing them into the 21st century learner.


2. Why should we hold students accountable for the stations/centers?


I want my 1st graders to be on task and I need to know if they are mastering the objectives and ready to move on.


3. Visit 2 of the applicable links to interactive websites for your content/grade level. Which sites did you like. How could you use them as stations? How can you hold the students accountable for their time in these stations?


SpellingCity.com is an interactive website that we currently use and have used for the past 2 years. I am surprised that it was not on the list as it is such a great tool for children to use at home for their word study skills. This website allows you to differentiate for all students.


Studyladder.com is another website that you can use to help differentiate for students at a higher level and lower level at the same time. The teacher gains immediate feedback to how he or she is doing.


Brainpop.com is another online interactive website that provide children with Bloom's Taxonomy and online quizzes that meet their needs.


4. List two to three apps you found for the iPod Touch/iPad that you can use in your classroom. What do you see that station looking like? How can you hold the students accountable for their time in these stations?


Houston Zoo (Helps navigate when you are at the zoo, but also gives animal specifications. It also helps with the Map skills and reading a map with cardinal directions.) We visit the Houston Zoo each year and this app will be a HUGE success with my children.
Funny Flash (This one is neat because it morphs animals and then spells them out verbally and in print.) This will be a great app for those ESL students.
Math Drill (Addition & Subtraction - primary grades.) Awesome for students learning their math facts!
Learn Chess (I haven't really figured this out but I want to learn.) Maybe my GT students will help me on this one it has always been a goal of mine to understand chess.
Louvre Our art teacher will love this, I will share with Ms. Lehman. The only issue is that you need to connect to WiFi.
NASA Some of my colleagues participated in a NASA webinar and found it fascinating. I would like to participate in this in the upcoming year.
Sight Words (Great way for students to learn their sight words.)
Tic Tac Toe (Just for fun! My kids especially LOVE playing this.)
The Weather Channel (Keep current with weather conditions anywhere. Goes well with our Seasons/Graphing Weather Unit.)


5. What about other ways to use the iPod Touch/iPad? Share another way you can see your students using the device as a station.


I am already using my I-Touches during both math and literacy stations. I plan to use them for self guided projects with my GT students. I love the Brainpop and plan to add this to my apps on the iTouches. I will use their quiz to show mastery. The sight word apps will be used for my ESL students to reiterate English language verbiage to their internal repertoire of knowledge.

1 comment:

  1. Karen H.
    Don't forget about Qwiki...it gives a quick presentation with information about anything a child wants to research....lots of amazing information for students.

    ReplyDelete